Monday, April 28, 2014

On the eve of my 32nd birthday.

Several observations:

- Being a grownup means not being able to book your birthday off, because there are important things happening on your birthday.  Not birthday things, mind you.  Business things, like project quotes and contracts are to be arriving at your desk on your birthday.  It is entirely selfish for you to think it's about you, BUT WE CANNOT DO IT WITHOUT YOU WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO SELF-CENTERED HARLOT FINE WE'LL FIND SOMEONE ELSE THEN WHO WILL PAY YOUR RENT WE OWN YOU DIRTBAG.  Why are you crying?

- Being a grownup means not being able to buy Damon Albarn's first ever solo album until you've satisfied your grownup duties. This may mean you won't have it for several days after its release.

- Being a grownup means that being drunk on a Monday and singing Tom Petty's "Learning to fly" in your apartment by yourself is less badass than you thought it would be when you were 15.

- Same goes for Blue Rodeo's "Rose Coloured Glasses."

I really don't want to go to work tomorrow, but I do want to remain gainfully employed.

3 comments:

  1. #1. Did you really sign Learning to Fly or did you mean sing?

    #2. Singing any Blue Rodeo song from the 80's/90's (or To Love Somebody) is badass. I'm totally going to listen to them on my way to work tomorrow.

    #3. I never thought that I'd spend my 32nd birthday drinking scotch and listening to Rachmaninoff. Sometimes life takes us in strange directions.

    #4. Since starting at the current company, I've always had a major project milestone at the end of April and haven't been able to take my birthday off. I had no reason to take it off this year but did just because I could. I scanned a bunch of financial documents and got caught up on some chores around the house. It's okay, you can be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Aw, man, I always hated the sign/sing typo. Can't believe I did it myself. Will fix. (When I type apologies like this, I always picture the self-flagellation scene from Black Robe. I'm over the top with my apologies sometimes.)

      2. I'm super happy you singled out "To Love Somebody." It's probably one of my absolute favourite songs in existence, regardless of who covers it. Blue Rodeo's version is warm and delightful.

      3. I did not know you were a scotch drinker! Always nice to learn new things about a friend.

      4. I actually am jealous. It would have been awesome to spend today doing chores around the apartment. My plan was to take the day off, go buy Albarn's new album, and putter around my place with it turned up super loud on repeat. Hi-ho.

      Delete
  2. Dear Amy,

    Still badass. Even more badass if you were not wearing pants. Fact.

    Additionally, happy birthday... a week late. Blame my weird parents for never doing birthdays. I now have trouble remembering anyone elses.

    From,
    Your asshole friend who missed your birthday, but does stop to read your blog every now and again so hopefully the two cancel each other out.
    A.K.A. Lizzy

    ReplyDelete