Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Read-a-thon

This week, I'm participating in a read-a-thon!  This read-a-thon started Monday morning, and lasts all week, but on Saturday, it'll last allll day.

http://seasonsreading.blogspot.ca/
My friend, Janeycanuck (that's her online handle - her blog can be found here.) This year, instead of our standard "go for dinner, then go to a bookstore" date - which we're both big fans of - I suggested we do a read-a-thon.  Sometime ago, she suggested I join one with her, and I had to decline.  This will be her third, but my first!

I must say, I'm a little concerned that I'll get on her nerves.  I don't know how many breaks is too much, how long they're supposed to be (I'm guessing 5-10, once an hour? I just don't know).  I've been known to talk up a storm sometimes (we can be quite guilty of it together, actually).  Also, I had said I was going to create an itinerary of things to do, but I just don't know what I'm doing.  I should go for Lean training, so I'll be better prepared on handling social situations, such as this.

I've set aside some books for Saturday:

I'm sorry, you may have to turn your head.

I've got my kobo on the left hand side (top of the pic, with this justification), which is full of goodies.  I'm not a huge fan of my kobo, but I'll probably have it out for some duration of the event.  Then there's:

  • Charlie McDowell's "Dear Girls Above Me" (humour, and... I think it might actually be a novel)
  • Katherine Dunn's "Geek Love" (fiction, recommended by a friend a long time ago, finally picked up)
  • Caitlin Moran's "Moranthology" (in progress)
  • Preston & Childs' "Cemetary Dance" (a Pendergast novel)
  • Joseph Conrad's "Tales of Hearsay" (published posthumously, I believe)
  • One of Jeff Smith's graphic novels, from the "Bone" series (I wanna be as laid back as Smiley Bone)
  • Canadian finance guru Gail Vaz Oxlade's "It's Your Money" (website)
  • Harlan Ellison's "Over the Edge" (short stories)
  • Roland Barthes' "Mythologies" (essays)

I know that may seem like a very ambitious pile, and I don't actually intend to read all of them.  I felt the need to narrow things down a fair amount, so I didn't spend 20 minute hemming and hawing on Saturday morning.  I tried to include a lot of very light stuff as well.

At any rate, I still have a lot to get done before Saturday!  Happy reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment